IEEE COMMUNICATIONS SOCIETY
Signal Processing and Computing for Communications Technical Committee (SPCC)
Minutes of Technical Committee Meeting at ICC 2022, held by videoconference
May 5, 2022
- Introductions – The TC meeting was started at 9:00 AM EST. The SPCC Chair Dr. Xianbin Wang introduced the agenda of the meeting and welcomed all SPCC members to the meeting. Instructions to maintain the meeting through the Zoom tool were provided.
- Minutes of GLOBECOM 2021 – The minutes of GLOBECOM 2021 SPCC TC meeting were approved.
- SPCC Scope, Objectives and Organization Structure – The Charter and objectives of the TC, structure and P&Ps were presented. Current and past officers were introduced as well.
- Technical Program Committee Reports
- SPC Symposium – GLOBECOM 2021: Co-chairs for the symposium include Zhijin Qin (Queen Mary University of London), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 127, the number of TPC members was 110 and the number of accepted papers was 52, with an acceptance rate of 40.9%. There were 11 sessions.
- WCS Symposium – GLOBECOM 2021: Co-chairs for the symposium include Cong Shen (University of Virginia), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 264 and the number of TPC members was 238 and the number of accepted papers was 80, with an acceptance rate of 30.3%. There were 16 sessions.
- SAC-MLCOMM Symposium – GLOBECOM 2021: Co-chairs for the symposium include Kamel Tourki (Ericsson R&D), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 187 and the number of TPC members was 143 and the number of accepted papers was 73, with an acceptance rate of 39%. There were 15 sessions.
- SPC Symposium – ICC 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Nan Yang (Australian National University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 149 and the number of TPC members was 174 and the number of accepted papers was 59, with an acceptance rate of 39.6%. There were 10 sessions.
- WCS Symposium – ICC 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Sinem Coleri (Koc University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 324 and the number of TPC members was 332 and the number of accepted papers was 123, with an acceptance rate of 37.3%. There were 21 sessions.
- CISS Symposium – ICC 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Liang Xiao (Xiamen University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 252 and the number of accepted papers was 93, with an acceptance rate of 37%. There were 16 sessions.
- WCS Symposium – GLOBECOM 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Sami Muhaidat (Khalifa University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 128.
- SPC Symposium – GLOBECOM 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Nan Zhao (Dalian Univeristy of Technology), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 61.
6. Other Endorsed Conferences by SPCC
- ICICSE 2022 , March 2022, Chongqing, China http://www.icse.org/committee.html
- Xianbin Wang, Western University, Canada
- Hai Lin, Osaka Prefecture University, Japan
- Jingxian Wu, University of Arkansas, USA
- Jun Zheng, Southeast University, China
- CommNet 2022, December 12-14, 2022, Hybrid In-person/Virtual Conference http://www.commnet-conf.org/
- George K. Karagiannidis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Mohamed-Slim Alouini, KAUST, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Faissal El Bouanani, Mohammed V University, Morocco
7. Special Interest Group (SIG) Activity Report
SIG Coordinator: Prof. Fang Fang, University of Durham, UK
The following SIGs reported their activity:
- SIG on Signal Processing Techniques in 5G Communication Systems. Chairs include Chau Yuen, SUTD, Singapore; Woon Hau Chin, IMDA, Singapore; Yan Zhang, University of Oslo, Norway; Linglong Dai, Tsinghua University, China and Shiwen Mao, Auburn University, USA.
- SIG on Signal Processing Techniques for Big Data and Wireless Edge Intelligence. Chair: Cong Shen, University of Virginia; Vice Chair: Jie Xu, University of Miami.
- SIG on REconFigurabLE Intelligent Surfaces for Signal Processing and CommunicatIONS (REFLECTIONS). Chairs include Chair: Alessio Zappone (University of Cassino and Southern Lazio); Vice Chair: Daniel B. da Costa (Technology Innovation Institute); Vice Chair: Mark F. Flanagan (University College Dublin); Secretary: Alexios Aravanis (CentraleSupelec); ETC/best readings liaison: Marco Di Renzo (CNRS & Paris-Saclay University).
- SIG on Signal Processing Techniques for Next Generation Multiple Access (NGMA). Chair: Yuanwei Liu, Queen Mary University of London, UK; Vice Chair: Zhiguo Ding, The University of Manchester, UK; Vice Chair: Octavia A. Dobre, Memorial University, Canada; Secretary: Wenqiang Yi, Queen Mary University of London.
- SIG on Orthogonal Time Frequency Space (OTFS). Chairs: Weijie Yuan, Southern University of Science and Technology, China; Emanuele Viterbo, Monash University, Australia; Ronny Hadani, Cohere Technologies, USA; Giulio Colavolpe, Parma University, Italy; Zhiqiang Wei, Friedrich-Alexander-University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
8. ComSoc Student Competition
SPCC Representative: Prof. Rui Dinis, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
Goal is to recognize students who demonstrate the capacity to improve the lives of people through the application of communication technology. A team led by a Student Member or Graduate Student Member of IEEE Communications Society is eligible. Application deadline is mid August
9. SPCC IEEE Standard Activities
- SPCC Representative: Dr. Richie Leo, ZTE Corporation.
Updates about standards of 3GPP, ETSI, and RISTA were provided.
10. SPCC TC Newsletter
- Editor: Dr. Roberto Corvaja.
- Goal: to share important information for the members of the committee; to have some brief contact approximately every six months; to become a useful communication tool; it will be brief and at the same time open for everybody to contribute.
The eleventh issue, June 2022, is available at:
11. SPCC Awards
The recipients of the SPCC awards 2022 are:
- SPCC Technical Recognition Award: Prof. Zhiguo Ding
- SPCC Best Paper Award: J. S. Ng, W. Y. B. Lim, S. Garg, Zehui Xiong, D. Niyato, M. Guizani, and C. Leung, “Collaborative coded computation offloading: An all-pay auction approach,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Montreal, Canada, June 2021.
- SPCC Early Achievement Award: Prof. Zhijin Qin.
14. Other Business
Next SPCC meeting will be held during GLOBECOM 2022.
15. Adjourn –The meeting was adjourned at 9:35 AM EST. There were 79 people in attendance.
|3||Ana Garcia Armada|
|4||Anis Amazigh HAMZA|
|10||Daniel Benevides da Costa|
|21||Harpreet S. Dhillon|
|34||Marco Di Renzo|
|53||Telex M. N. Ngatched|
|61||Xiangyun (Sean) Zhou|