IEEE COMMUNICATIONS SOCIETY
Signal Processing and Computing for Communications Technical Committee (SPCC)
Minutes of Technical Committee Meeting at GLOBECOM 2022, held by videoconference
November 29, 2022
- Introductions – The TC meeting was started at 9:00 AM EST. The SPCC Chair Prof. Jingxian Wu introduced the agenda of the meeting and welcomed all SPCC members to the meeting. Instructions to maintain the meeting through the Zoom tool were provided.
- Minutes of ICC 2022 – The minutes of ICC 2022 SPCC TC meeting were approved.
- SPCC Scope, Objectives and Organization Structure – The Charter and objectives of the TC, structure and P&Ps were presented. Current and past officers were introduced as well.
- Technical Program Committee Reports
- SPC Symposium – ICC 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Nan Yang (Australian National University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 149 and the number of TPC members was 174 and the number of accepted papers was 59, with an acceptance rate of 39.6%. There were 10 sessions.
- WCS Symposium – ICC 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Sinem Coleri (Koc University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 324 and the number of TPC members was 332 and the number of accepted papers was 123, with an acceptance rate of 37.3%. There were 21 sessions.
- CISS Symposium – ICC 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Liang Xiao (Xiamen University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 252 and the number of accepted papers was 93, with an acceptance rate of 37%. There were 16 sessions.
- WCS Symposium – GLOBECOM 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Sami Muhaidat (Khalifa University), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 336 and the number of accepted papers was 134, with an acceptance rate of 40%. There were 27 sessions.
- SPC Symposium – GLOBECOM 2022: Co-chairs for the symposium include Nan Zhao (Dalian Univeristy of Technology), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 176 and the number of accepted papers was 70, with an acceptance rate of 39.8%. There were 18 sessions.
- SPC Symposium – ICC 2023: Co-chairs for the symposium include Junqing Zhang (University of Liverpool), who was recommended by SPCC. The number of submissions was 119.
6. Other Endorsed Conferences by SPCC
- 11th Advanced Satellite Multimedia Conference and 17th Signal Processing for Space Communications Workshop, September 6-8, 2022, Graz, Austria https://asmsconference.org/
- Tomaso de Cola, DLR, Germany
- Giovanni Geraci, University Pompeu Favra, Spain
- Andrea Conti, University of Ferrrara, Italy
- Tomoaki Ohtsuki, Keio University, Japan
- ITU Kaleidoscope 2022, December 7-9, 2022, Accra, Ghana https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/academia/kaleidoscope/2022/Pages/default.aspx
- Jingxian Wu, University of Arkansas, USA
- Ana Garcia Armada, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
- Richie Leo, ZTE Corporation, China
- CommNet 2022, December 12-14, 2022, Hybrid In-person/Virtual Conference http://www.commnet-conf.org/
- George K. Karagiannidis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Mohamed-Slim Alouini, KAUST, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Faissal El Bouanani, Mohammed V University, Morocco
- ICSPCS 2023, September 6-8, 2023, Bygoszcz, Poland https://icspcs.io.pbs.edu.pl/
- Tadeusz Wysocki
- Octavia Dobre
- Lajos Hanzo
7. Special Interest Group (SIG) Activity Report
SIG Coordinator: Prof. Fang Fang, University of Durham, UK
The following SIGs reported their activity:
- SIG on Signal Processing Techniques in 6G Communication Systems. Chairs include Chongwen Huang, Zhejiang University, China and George Alexandropoulos, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Recent activity of the SIG includes:
- SIG on Signal Processing Techniques for Big Data and Wireless Edge Intelligence. Chair: Cong Shen, University of Virginia; Vice Chair: Jie Xu, University of Miami.
- SIG on REconFigurabLE Intelligent Surfaces for Signal Processing and CommunicatIONS (REFLECTIONS). Chairs include Chair: Alessio Zappone (University of Cassino and Southern Lazio); Vice Chair: Daniel B. da Costa (Federal University of Ceará); Vice Chair: Mark F. Flanagan (University College Dublin); Secretary: Alexios Aravanis (CentraleSupelec); ETC/best readings liaison: Marco Di Renzo (CNRS & Paris-Saclay University).
- SIG on Signal Processing Techniques for Next Generation Multiple Access (NGMA). Chair: Yuanwei Liu, Queen Mary University of London, UK; Vice Chair: Zhiguo Ding, The University of Manchester, UK; Vice Chair: Octavia A. Dobre, Memorial University, Canada; Secretary: Wenqiang Yi, Queen Mary University of London.
- SIG on Orthogonal Time Frequency Space (OTFS). Chairs: Weijie Yuan, Southern University of Science and Technology, China; Emanuele Viterbo, Monash University, Australia;Ronny Hadani, Cohere Technologies, USA; Giulio Colavolpe, Parma University, Italy; Zhiqiang Wei, Friedrich-Alexander-University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
8. ComSoc Student Competition
SPCC Representative: Prof. Rui Dinis, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
Goal is to recognize students who demonstrate the capacity to improve the lives of people through the application of communication technology. A team led by a Student Member or Graduate Student Member of IEEE Communications Society is eligible. Application deadline is mid August
9. SPCC IEEE Standard Activities
- SPCC Representative: Dr. Richie Leo, ZTE Corporation.
Updates about standards of 3GPP, ITU, and ETSI were provided.
10. SPCC TC Newsletter
- Editor: Prof. Roberto Corvaja.
- Goal: to share important information for the members of the committee; to have some brief contact approximately every six months; to become a useful communication tool; it will be brief and at the same time open for everybody to contribute.
The eleventh issue, June 2022, is available at:
11. SPCC Awards
The recipients of the SPCC awards 2022 are:
- SPCC Outstanding Service Award: Dr. Richie Liu
- SPCC Technical Recognition Award: Prof. Hamid Jafarkhani
- SPCC Best Paper Award: Y. Liu, X. Mu, R. Schober, and H. V. Poor, “Simultaneously Transmitting and Reflecting (STAR)-RISs: A Coupled Phase-Shift Model,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2022, pp. 2840-2845.
- SPCC Early Achievement Award: Prof. Qingqing Wu.
14. Other Business
Next SPCC meeting will be held during ICC 2023.
15. Adjourn –The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 AM EST. There were 78 people in attendance.
|2||Ana Garcia Armada|
|11||Daniel Benevides da Costa|
|39||Marco Di Renzo|
|44||Moe Z. Win|
|46||Octavia A. Dobre|
|52||Ruiqi (Richie) Liu|
|59||Telex M. N. Ngatched|
|67||Y.-W. Peter Hong|